How to choose the right painter
Proper surface preparation, quality products and the right equipment is key to a successful painting project. Experience matters! Hiring a painting professional is the best way to make sure you get the best results. How do you get started and how do you choose the right painting contractor for your project? And should you hire just a single painter? Or do you need a team of professionals? How big is the project and what other constraints do you have? Timing and delivery, what’s the goal of the project?
- Create a list of tasks to accomplish. In construction this is referred to as “The statement of work”. Simply this is the problem or project you want to solve. Ie. paint the interior of my house. And the more you research and think about the problem the better solutions you will begin to consider.
- Ask Friends, family and colleagues
A good reference from someone who has already had a great experience is always the best option. Another option for referrals is to call the local paint stores. Local paint stores will have plenty of local connections and should be able to offer painting contractor referrals.
- Check online
Many painting contractors have websites. Check them out! Look for the about page, customer reviews, and photos. Most websites will have an email address or phone number for you to contact them. A lot of contractors do not have the time to stay current with their online portfolio, so don’t hesitate to email them asking for more current photos from painting projects they have recently completed or are currently working on.
- Plan your budget
Budget is one of the most predominant factors to consider before exploring your options of painting contractors in the area. Budget will determine the scale of the project as well as what materials to use. There are a range of paint systems available so ask for multiple options. It is essential to look for contractors who are reasonable in their pricing, not “cheap” or have “low” fees. Low fees or cheap may mean using the cheapest products and materials, inexperienced painters and shortcuts on prep. You may have a lower price tag initially but long term you will end up spending more money. It is also important to avoid contractors who charge an exorbitant amount under the disguise of “luxury painting services”. The best option? Look for a painting company who uses quality paints, guarantees their work and prioritizes customer satisfaction. The best painting contractors will offer the best options for your project while respecting your budget. If the scope of your project exceeds your budget a good contractor will break down the pricing and go over the line items with you to prioritize which items should be taken care of first. You should be looking for a painting contractor who will give a clear definition of exactly what you are paying for and how long it will take to complete the project.
5. Ask the right questions
- Are you licensed? Do you need a license to perform the work?
- Do you have a current insurance certificate? What insurance do you currently hold? Will you be providing me with an insurance certificate?
- Can you provide a list of references? What other projects have you completed like mine? Do you have some photos or samples of the work.
- What are the best products? What paint products would you recommend using for my project? Can you provide me a list of steps you will use to complete the project?
- Do I need to purchase my own paint or will you provide paint and supplies?
- Is this a firm fixed price? What items need to be completed on an hourly rate?
- Do you offer a warranty with your work?
- When can you start the job and when will it be completed? When you start, will you stop or continuously work on the project until it is finished?
- What services do you offer before, during and after the project?
- Will I get all services provided in a written contract?
- How would you like to be paid and when do I make payments?
- What finishing documents will you leave and do I receive touch up paint for maintenance in the future?